Thursday, November 02, 2006

Blazers Opener starts with a Fire!


This win ended a string of 16 road losses dating to last season, when the Blazers finished an NBA-worst 21-61. It was better than that though... it was an opening day win... against our rivals from Seattle... and it was on the road.

Hopefully it marked a new day. Team Captain 'Zbo' Zach Randolph worked, in a new, dominating fashion. He scored 20 of his 30 points in the second half, he lit up the Sonics' inside players and they who had no answer, but to foul. Randolph hit 14 of 15 free throws.

"I'm just getting my grind on," Zach was quoted later, "Like I have been saying, I have a lot to prove this season."

This was a team win, with many parts. They all came together Wednesday night in Seattle and provided the ultimate start to a season for the Trail Blazers. Brandon Roy, the Pac-10 player of the year and All-American last season at Washington, was magnificent in his ol' hometown, in his NBA debut. He had 20 points on 10-for-16 shooting while running Portland's offense in the second half, his teammates unmercilessly set screens for him.

After the game Brandon Roy commented as in a daze. "Last night when I went to sleep, I dreamed of having a game like this. And when I woke up, I said that was too good to be true. So to come out and have that game . . . it's an incredible feeling, one words can't explain. I'm going to remember this for the rest of my life."

It was a good night too for another dreamer, Ime Udoka. It was Udoka's offensive rebound of an Outlaw miss and the subsequent foul shots (with 16 seconds to go) that were the decisive plays that spoiled the 40th and perhaps final season opener for Seattle.
New Owner of the Sonics' Clay Bennett show up before a sold-out crowd, to be disappointed. Bennett has said he could move the team if he does not have a commitment by next summer for a new arena in the Seattle area.

Give them a couple games Clay,
this was the new improved Blazers for '06-07!
Show some patience before you move the Sonics team-
and turn them into the Midwest Hayshakers!!



Let me know what you think leave me a comment:

No comments: