Friday, November 03, 2006

Whats the big deal, just whatssa Governors Cup?

[not the cup!]

Kansas City Chiefs Coach Herm Edwards was asked What do you know about the Governor’s Cup?


His reply:


“I know it’s a big cup and was sitting out in the front. At first it was brought to my attention that it was done in the preseason, but it goes for the regular season too. We have the Cup and we have to try and keep the Cup. I know Lamar (Hunt) likes that. He’s a traditional guy and it’s kind of unique to have something like that, like in college football and (winning the) Jug and all that other stuff. I know at Cal it was the Axe and we were always trying to take the Axe away from Stanford. We took the Axe away a lot. Now it’s the Governor’s Cup.”



Then it was starting quarterback Damon Huards' turn at the media questions... He was asked: Is the Governor’s Cup (Kansas City vs. St. Louis) bigger than the Apple Cup (Washington vs. Washington State)?

“Yeah, I think so. I think this is a pretty big rivalry. I’ve seen it in preseason games and now I get to see it for the first time in the regular season.”




This morning, ELIZABETH MERRILL of the The Kansas City Star, writes:

"The most precious piece of metal in Missouri this week sits on the edge of the counter in the lobby at Arrowhead Stadium, next to a potted plant, a miniature flag and some fliers for Tony Gonzalez’s football camp.

There’s smudge marks on the front from a very large set of mitts. But this thing is important, because it represents state pride, Show-Me superiority, and 10 months of bragging rights."

Merrill offers more later in the article:

“I really couldn’t care less about the Governor’s Cup other than the fact that we win the game,” veteran defensive end Eric Hicks said. “No disrespect to the governor, but we’re just trying to win the game. I don’t even know who goes around and accepts the trophy. I can’t say as I’ve ever touched the Governor’s Cup.

*************************************************************************

The fact is this game VERY important for both teams. They are both sitting at 4-3 on the season. Both teams have road games next weekend. I guess this one is more important to the Chiefs, they must secure some road victories to bring fruit to their dream season, and make the playoffs.

*************************************************************************
Quote of the week!

"The only contact he'll get is I'm going to hug him."

by Chiefs coach Herm Edwards, on how much contact QB Trent Green will need before his first start.
************************************************************************

Let me know what you think leave me a comment:

No comments: