Saturday, July 29, 2006

A Somber City Waits... "Play On! #77!!!!'


“The Chiefs told me to take my time, but nothing has changed,” Roaf said. “That’s not in the plans. When I go out and run around the football field, I’m not me. I don’t want to let anybody down. Herm Edwards has got a new program going there. I respect him, and I respect my teammates too much to go out there and play at a level that I’m not used to.”

Coach Edwards responded,

“Willie has played a long time in this league, and that’s a tough decision. Sometimes you have to sit back after you make a decision like that and ponder it.” He did also add, “I’ve heard that before from players, and sometimes they change their minds.

You could see it behind his eyes. He tried not to show it, his voice never waivered. Everyone knew that this could be a very somber day. Sure, we all know it will get into the century mark again this weekend. That wont be what people are talking about, no, no, no. The topic at every rib shack, every church social, every barstool on every sportsbar will be, "Is this the end of and era?"
Kyle Turley was accuired in the off season, another All-Pro. He was Roaf's teammate with New Orleans a few years back, just before Roaf joined the Chiefs in a 2002 trade. “Football is a violent game,” Turley remarked. “It takes its toll rapidly. When you put in 13 or 14 years, it definitely takes its toll".

The city is responding: http://pod01.prospero.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?msg=163&nav=messages&webtag=kr-kctm
"Crap! I think my 12-4 prediciton loses about 3 games and falls to 9-7 unless something amazing happens. Roaf is essential to the team's success. I guess all I can say is, "Crap!"
Posted by: SuperFan
"Willie there is no way to replace you! You are the man. We need you, but understand if this is your time to move on with your life and family.
God bless!"
Posted by: Derek Vreeland
"What a kick in the head for the aspirations of this year's team! Here's hoping they can find someone to adequately fill the void. It won't be easy. Thank you Willie for being here while you were, good luck!"
Posted by: Dave
"Willie thanks for your play but give it one more year. S-U-P-E-R-B-O-W-L!!!"
Posted by: Ryan in St. Joseph
"Next Headline: "The world supply for matresses has been diminished due to Kansas City buying all in stock and piling them under bridges to catch all the Chiefs Fans as they jump from bridges." God bless, Willie. You're a favorite of mine for 12 years...."
Posted by: Douglas

Everyone is hoping that this is a just veteran who wants to take more time. He'll get calls. He'll read the papers. His teamates will call. All are hoping that after the preseason that Willie will see this could be a very special year. Willie though has announced his intention to go back to school, attend the University of California-Irvine and finish his undergraduate degree in sociology which he started several years ago at Louisiana Tech.
We all, every one, everywhere, wish him well. At any rate, this season,2006-7 for the Chiefs will the a very special year. We would like you Willie, to be the definition of our success!
Pray on this.
Please feel free to drop me a comment:

No comments: