Thursday, July 20, 2006

Where are the Blazers Brass?

Did the organization take a massive vacation? Are they all at Silver Falls having a "Kumbaya" retreat with Pastor Paul Allen? I just was curious why, with the whole city in such turmoil, questioning... why has no one stepped forward, to the abyss, to address the citys' mournful sobs?
Yes, I am fearful, since Ive moved here, into Americas Heartland, I have been witness to sports fannery taken to the enth degree. I dont know if the rest of the country is aware of it, certainly it shocked me. My neighbors to the north, each and every resident of good state of Nebraska- apparently on a yearly basis, flood suicide hotlines that are set up annualy to reach out to them. Having never earned a franchise worthy of major league, in any sport, these God-fearing peoples make the definition of their self worth- for at least 365 days, on the outcome of the Kansas-Nebraska football game! Seriously, it is a bloodsport here!
Fanaticism, you see, is defined by these humble cornfarmers. Cornliquor usually is tied closely to the dread. This brings me to fear for my brothers and sisters in Oregon. Surely in the greater metropolitan area. Can we bear a life sustained only by the Ducks/Beavers rivalry? An occasional Lacrosse game thrown in will no doubt offer life to many. But how will the people of Portland rebound? Will stories of Walton, Luke, et al survive as more than myth, an oral tradition passed from one generation to another. Will season ticket holders gather during some nocturnal equinox somewhere and thus relive the shouts of "Rip City" in perptuity throughout the coming ages?

I can only pray.
Walk in His Peace good brothers.
Mark

No comments: