Saturday, September 09, 2006

with Coach Lewis... They led the NFL in Turnovers?

JASON D. GEIL/The Cincinatti Post

Yeah, ...they got the stars, in quarterback Carson Palmer and wide receiver Chad Johnson. I swear though, I was not aware that their unheralded defense led the league in turnovers last year. Did You?

Well they have made those subtle changes we talked about in the previous blog post (scroll below) but now, taking all that in, now I have to start to worry about that easy 14 point spread I was so generous with on the Arrowhead Poll this week. Sorry Chris! I want to reconsider.

Okay, I know how we embarrassed them, just this last New Years, yeah, their unheralded "D" remained unheralded THAT day. Heckfire. It didnt even show up! I know it is OUR big red machine home opener. I know all that. We do have a very very improved team... but I got to wonder if those Bengals "D' men want to remain unheralded this week... or this year!

Seriously, this last season produced the franchise's first winning season, division title and playoff appearance in 15 years.

Three year Coach Marvin Lewis has said "When we got started in '03, I don't think people realized the fine line between winning and losing," Lewis said in an interview. "I talked about that and I think people thought I was crazy. They thought there was a bigger difference between the top of the league and the bottom of the league. We showed them very quickly that there is very little difference; it's a small, small difference."

It has been a trying offseason, beginning with the rehab of Palmer, or rather all of the speculation from the outside regarding Palmer's rehab. It is complete; he will start the season opener at Kansas City eight months to the day from his reconstructive surgery.

Lewis' philosophy didn't waver.

"He's always prepared to continue on. He makes his small changes, one job done, but he's not going to rest on it".
"No, he's already plotting, planning, thinking to the next week or the next game or the next season".
"It's good that he's that way because he keeps us all focused on what we need to do so we don't sit there and say, 'Wow, we did something great"- d line coach Jay Hayes.

Marvin Lewis talks openly about his gameday.. "I hate to lose and when you lose it's like someone stuck a knife in you," Lewis states. "It takes a while to get that air back in. But yet, that is the exciting part. That's what it is. You love to see the excitement in our guys' eyes as they go out and take the field. That's fun. You know they're ready to play. His thoughts are said to be the same game after game.

"I just pray every week that I don't screw them up," Lewis says. "That's what I pray for; to make sure that I make good decisions that don't screw us up on Sundays, that I allow those guys to go out and play and win. I pray that the decisions we make allow our good players to go win for us. I think that's what professional football is all about. Your good players have to go win the game for you."
_____________________________________________________
Well, lets all pray in Kansas City- that the tinkering he accomplished in the "unheralded Defense" this off season, (see previous posts) Lets pray those changes dont keep him from feeling that "losing" knife slide into his back... this Sunday!

Chiefs by... oh... letsee... 6pts! -Chiefs 27-21 !! pt total 48!!
Sorry Chris!




Let me know what you think leave me a comment

No comments: